Baltimore City Public Schools Social Work Services Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the records of the Baltimore City Public Schools Social Work Services spanning 1936-2008. The collection documents the history and work of the office including its administration, programming, services, state advocacy work, and related professional associations. Materials include correspondence, handbooks, administrative files, clippings, and publications. Also present are audiovisual materials including VHS tapes, audio cassettes, photographs, and other visual formats. The collection also includes artifacts and memorabilia.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. This collection contains audio-visual materials including VHS tapes and audio cassettes that may need further processing or special equipment to allow use.
In 1973, the Baltimore City Public Schools (BCPS) underwent a reorganization that changed the system from a centralized administrative structure to a decentralized one that encompassed nine regions. As a result, major executive and managerial functions were moved from system headquarters to nine buildings throughout the city, and regional superintendents were given greater authority. Along with this restructuring, the School Social Work's (SSW) record room was eliminated. The record keeping systems of other BCPS programs were affected as well, including psychological services, psychiatric services, attendance and court services, the home visitors’ service, a paraprofessional program, and other pupil services programs. Without a formal program for retaining their records through BCPS, professional staff in the SSW began compiling and retaining copies of their own records.
11.8 Linear Feet
Collection is arranged in 12 series:
- Administrative and Organizational Structures
- Policy, Personnel, and Program Development
- Service and Related Programs
- Public Policy and Community Services
- School Social Work Association
- School Social Work State Certification Efforts
- Maryland State Department of Education (MDSE) Involvements/ Advocacy
- National Social Work
- Public School Supervisors and Administrators Association
- Educational Specialist's Personnel Matters and Commendations
- Multimedia and Photographs
- Artifacts and Memorabilia
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Joan Y. Harris, ACSW, in 2002.
Accessing Digital Copies
Digital copies of the entire archival collection are available through this database. PDF files are available for online viewing and download. Locate records by using the "Print" button above, or browse records in “Collection Organization."
This collection is the result of a project created by Joan Y. Harris, ACSW. The collection was arranged and described by Joan Y. Harris between 2002 and 2010.
- Finding aid for the Baltimore City Public Schools Social Work Services Records
- Finding aid created by Aiden Faust (2015). Revised by Laura Bell (April 2020).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Baltimore Studies Archives Repository
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA