Skip to main content

Greater Baltimore Committee Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0046-GBC

Scope and Contents

The Greater Baltimore Committee Records document the work of the organization between 1955 and 1972. Notably, the collection includes materials from the Poppleton Historic Survey, and the Subcommittee series includes materials related to projects including city planning, airport development, Charles Center and Inner Harbor projects, the Jones Falls Expressway development, and other urban renewal projects. Materials present in the collection include correspondence, subcommittee minutes and reports, cartographic records, case files, consultant reports, federal grant applications, survey returns, special project files, general files, publications, newspaper clippings, and photographic slides.

Dates

  • 1955-1972

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Historical Note

The Greater Baltimore Committee is a private organization composed of business, civic, industrial, and professional leaders. GBC was founded in 1955 to further development and renewal in Baltimore City and other areas of Maryland. The group proposed that private industry and local government partner to revitalize Baltimore City. In the 1950s and 1960s the GBC focused on urban renewal initiatives including the Charles Center project to focus on revitalizing retail in the city. GBC also led the renewal of Baltimore's waterfront which resulted in the creation of Charles Center-Inner Harbor Management, Inc. The group's work with the revitalization of the Inner Harbor continued through 2000. In addition to their work developing the Inner Harbor and Charles Center, GBC has contributed to a number of other projects, some of which include: construction of Jones Falls Expressway, development of Friendship Airport (now BWI), the creation of multiple leadership and education programs, the creation of the Greater Baltimore Alliance, and many other revitalization projects.

[Information for this Historical Note was collected from the Greater Baltimore Committee website in 2022, www.gbc.org/about-us/gbc-history/]

Extent

82.8 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged in 14 series:

  • Organizational Records
  • Executive Committee
  • General Committees
  • Subcommittees
  • Annual Meetings
  • Publications
  • Public Relations
  • Newspaper Clippings
  • Maps
  • Library
  • Slides
  • Planning Council
  • General Records
  • Oversized Materials

Custodial History

The records of the Greater Baltimore Committee were deposited at the University's Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center in 13 accessions between 1972 and 1975. The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Ruvelle S. Falcone on January 30, 1975.

Accessing Digital Copies

Digital copies of the entire archival collection are available through this database. PDF files are available for online viewing and download. Locate records by using the "Print" button above, or browse records in “Collection Organization."

Related Materials

Related materials at the UBalt Special Collections and Archives include the Greater Baltimore Housing Development Corporation Records

Processing Information

Collection was processed by Thomas Hollowak. In 2012 Aiden Faust curated three exhibits highlighting materials from the collection. Links to these exhibits are available at the end of the finding aid. Series 13 includes sections of unprocessed records.

Title
Finding aid for the Greater Baltimore Committee Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Special Collections and Archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011 and 2013). Revised by Laura Bell (2022).
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253