Skip to main content

Samuel Ready School Records

 Collection — Box: Published Material
Identifier: R0117-SRS

Scope and Contents

The Samuel Ready School Records document the history of the Samuel Ready School. The collection includes biographical information about Samuel Ready, and describes the history the school including the facilities and property, the administration, and the student body and alumni. Materials in the collection include minutes, correspondence, reports, student and teacher files, publications, photographs, newspaper clippings, and artifacts and memorabilia.

Dates

  • 1864-1977

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

An access restriction of 75 years was imposed by the donor on March 9, 1978 on student records. Material marked "restricted" cannot be viewed until 2053.

The restricted files noted in the collection are as follows: Series III. Samuel Ready School, Subseries C. Faculty and Staff, Box 1. Personnel Files Series IV. Student Body, Subseries A. Enrollment Records, Box 6. Testing and Class Standings Series IV. Student Body, Subseries B. Application and Student Files, Boxes 1-16

Historical Note

The Trustees of the Samuel Ready Asylum for Female Orphans was incorporated by Act of the General Assembly of Maryland in 1864. The School opened in 1877 with seven female students. It was named for Samuel Ready (b.1789-d.1871), a Baltimore business man who planned for and provided a charitable endowment for the school before his death. In 1894 school's name changed to the Samuel Ready School for Female Orphans. In 1947, an Act of the Maryland General Assembly extended the use of the facilities of the school for the education of female children of any age, and allowed the Trustees to charge fees that might be deemed advisable.

On July 1, 1977, the Samuel Ready School for Girls closed and became Samuel Ready Scholarships, Inc. The organization was formed officially by Articles of Amendment and Restatement filed with the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation June 7, 1977. The Corporation became a supporting organization providing scholarships for girls in Supported Schools selected by the Trustees. The first three Supported Schools in 1977-1978 were the Bryn Mawr School, the Garrison Forest School, and Roland Park Country School.

[Information for this historical note was gathered from "Samuel Ready: The Man and His Legacy" by Frances S. Meginnis, and the organization's website: samuelready.org/]

Extent

43.5 Linear Feet (44 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged in 8 series:

  • Samuel Ready, 1867-1983
  • Board of Trustees, 1819-1977
  • School, 1845-1993
  • Student Body, 1877-1977
  • Alumni Association, 1887-1983
  • Property, 1851-1979
  • Photographs, 1890-1993
  • Artifacts, 1890-1976

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Herbert B. Williams in December 1977. Additional materials were donated by Patricia Care Tate and Helen Tangires and added to the collection in 2020.

Separated Materials

One item donated in 2020 was separated to the Samuel Ready Scholarships, Inc. Records.

Title
Finding aid for the Samuel Ready School Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Special Collections and Archives Staff. Finding aid revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (2020).
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253