UB

Skip to main content

Baltimore Industrial Development Commission Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0012-BIDC
Minutes, project reports, reference files, correspondence, organizational, administrative and financial records

Dates

  • 1971 - 1975

Extent

8.5 Linear Feet

Historical Note

In 1971, city voters approved 3 million dollars in municipal bonds to finance an urban land bank -- properties on which displaced businesses or new industrial plants could be enticed to build. Funds were administered by a quasi-municipal corporation based on the model of the existing Charles Center-Inner Harbor Corporation. In 1972, the Baltimore Industrial Development Corporation was formed for this purpose.



BIDC was governed by a board consisting of seven members of the city government appointed by the Mayor, seven members of the business community named by the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore, and seven members of the general public selected by the board. The corporation carried out its work under contract with the city, the terms of which provided that it fulfill its duties under the authority and direction of the mayor. In formulating actions, directions, and policies, Mayor William Donald Schaeffer was guided by the city’s Economic Development Commission.



In 1976, BIDC merged with the Baltimore Economic Development Commission to form the Baltimore Economic Development Corporation (BEDCO). BEDCO later merged with the Howard Street Market Place and Charles Center-Inner Harbor Management, forming the Baltimore Development Corporation in 1991.

Custodial History

The records of the Baltimore Economic Development Corporation were collected by the Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center at the University of Baltimore in two accessions: November 9, 1977 and March 30, 1978.

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253