The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Community Center of Baltimore and Central Maryland was founded in 1977. Between 1980 and 2014, the GLCCB operated out of 241 W. Chase Street. In 2014, the GLCCB moved its headquarters to the Waxter Center, a city-owned senior citizens complex at 1000 Cathedral Street.
To prepare for the move from their longtime organizational home, GLCCB volunteers formed an archives committee and sought a community partner to help safeguard their collection of historically important records, including a near-complete set of Baltimore’s Gay Life newspapers from 1979 to 2014.
In addition to the work of the GLCCB archives committee, the Center celebrated its 35th anniversary in 2012 and participated in a local oral history project. The project was coordinated by Denise Duarte, a graduate student in the Community Arts program at the Maryland Institute College of Art and GLCCB artist in residence.