Belvedere Hotel Corporation Records
Place requests at folder level.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains organizational records documenting functions of the Belvedere Hotel between 1904 and 1970. It includes a sampling of correspondence, minutes, contracts, financial records, appraisals, and operational records (including guest ledgers, banquet records, personnel files, purchasing records and other similar records) of the Belvedere Hotel Corporation and the Sheraton Belvedere Corporation which purchased the Belvedere Hotel in 1946.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that they own copyright, the donor has assigned the copyright of this collection to the University Foundation. However, copyright for some items in this collection are held by their respective creators.
The Belvedere Hotel was a grand luxury hotel in Baltimore, Maryland built in the French Beaux Arts style by the Parker & Thomas architectural firm. The Belvedere Hotel came into being as a community project with funds raised by subscription and bonds. The Belvedere Building Company, whose stockholders included many prominent Maryland families, built the hotel in 1903. The initial funding for the purchase of land and hotel construction was provided by the families of Brown, Parr, Harvey, and Perin. The first President of the Belvedere Hotel Corporation was Nelson Perin. Formal opening took place on December 10, 1903. In the early 1900s, the Belvedere Hotel was known for hosting elite guests visiting from around the United States and the world. Built at a cost of $1.75 million, the hotel contained 350 luxuriously furnished rooms. Throughout its history, the Belvedere Hotel experienced a series of financial problems. It was put into receivership soon after opening in 1906, and later in 1915, and 1933. In 1946, the hotel was purchased by the Sheraton Corporation and modernized. A three million dollar expansion was planned onto the adjoining property, but the plan was dropped in 1956 because of conflict with a potential highway.
The hotel was sold in 1968 to the Wellington Association of New York, and again in 1969 to Gotham Hotels Limited of New York. The building was rented at the time to the Baltimore Institute for use as dormitories, managed by the Snowden Corporation. In January 1972, the Snowden Corporation ceased operations, noting vandalism and fire code violations. The building was sold in 1973 to Morton Sarubin, whose plan to rehabilitate the hotel failed. It was sold again in 1976 to Victor Frenkil, the chairman of the Board of Baltimore Contractors, who intended to rehabilitate the building with 158 apartments, to reopen the dining rooms to the public, and develop a catering service available for ballroom events.
The hotel was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
[Information for this historical note was gathered from previous collection descriptions, a 1903 Baltimore Sun newspaper article, the Belvedere Hotel inventory form in the National Register of Historic Places, and a 2003 Baltimore Magazine article by Tom Siebert.]
22.00 Linear Feet (22 containers)
Collection is arranged as a folder inventory.
The records of the Belvedere Hotel Corporation were donated to the University of Baltimore on May 26, 1976 by Victor Frenkil, through his agent, Linda Kline.
- Finding aid for the Belvedere Hotel Corporation Records
- Finding aid created by Special Collections and Archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (April 2020).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description