Blakeslee-Lane, Inc. was founded during the Great Depression by two newspaper photographers, George Walton Blakeslee, Sr. and Horace P. Lane. Blakeslee and Lane opened a studio at 106 East Pleasant Street in 1931, selling photographs at a flat rate to their former employer, the Baltimore News.
In addition to illustrating news stories, the studio supplied photographs for advertising copy and soon gained the trade of the city’s major department stores: Hecht’s, Hutzler's, Stewart's and Hochschild-Kohn. As a result of their success, they moved to 343 St. Paul Street and took on a third partner, Theodore C. Andersen. After World War II, the studio became a Midtown fixture at 916 North Charles Street.
In addition to its traditional work, the studio created large-scale mural versions of regional photography to decorate restaurants, banks and other businesses.