UB

Skip to main content

E.J. Gallagher Realty Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0039-EJG

Scope and Contents Note

This collection documents the E. J. Gallagher Realty Company, a real estate business located in Baltimore City, which began in June 1909. The company was active between 1915 and roughly 1950, and is wellknown for developing Ednor Gardens in Northeast Baltimore. The neighborhood is known for its Tudor, Norman, and Colonial-style rowhouses and detached houses. Materials include correspondence, financial papers, ledger books, house cards, inventories, mortgage papers,loan applications, insurance certificate contracts, deeds, leases, newspaper clippings, deed restrictions, and photographs.

Dates

  • 1886-1964
  • Bulk dates, 1920-1955

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Historical Note

The E. J. Gallagher Realty Company, a real estate business located in Baltimore City, was incorporated in June 1909 and became active in January 1915. Its founder, Edward Joseph Gallagher (b. 1865 - d. 1933), was a builder who had been constructing houses in Baltimore since the 1880s. The company built and sold houses between 1915 and 1950, and in particular developed the residential area of northeast Baltimore known as Ednor Gardens. Gallagher also founded in 1917 the Acreage Land Company and in 1924 the Montebello Land Company. These two firms, subsidiaries of the realty company, served to acquire and hold land, and to create ground rents.

Originally located in an office leased within the Munsey Building located in downtown Baltimore, the realty company and its subsidiary firms moved in 1929 to the company's own building at 3501 Ednor Road in Ednor Gardens. By then the realty company and its subsidiaries were managed by Gallagher's two sons', Edward Joseph, Jr. and A. (Albert) Norman Gallagher. The realty company conducted little business after 1950, except to manage remaining assets. The Acreage Land Company had already been dissolved in 1938, and the Montebello Land Company was dissolved in 1952. By then, Norman Gallagher's sons had established their own firm, the Gallagher Construction Company.

Extent

38 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged in two series:
  • Series 1: Company Records
  • Series 2: Comapny Advertisements

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Norman Gallagher, Jr. in July 1981.

Related Materials

Related archival collections include the Ednor Gardens-Lakeside Civic Association Records at UB Special Collections & Archives.

Processing Information

Collection was processed by Special Collections & Archives Staff.
Title
Finding aid for E.J. Gallagher Realty Company Records
Author
Finding aid created by UB Special Collections & Archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (March 2021).
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • 2011: Descriptive fields added
  • 2014-2016: Finding aid prepared from legacy finding aid and added to database
  • March 2021: Additional descriptive elements added

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253