UB

Skip to main content

Light Rail Collection

 Collection
Identifier: R0059-LR

Scope and Contents

Correspondence, publications, reports, and newspaper clippings related to development and construction of Baltimore's light-rail public transportation system.

Dates

  • 1965 - 1996

Creator

Historical Note

As early as 1957, Baltimore was considering the viable of light-duty railways to alleviate much of the automobile congestion brought on by the demise of the trolley system in the 1950s. In 1964, the Metropolitan Transit Authority studied the pros and cons of a combined bus/light-rail/subway system versus an all-bus system. The consulting firm of Parsons, Brinkhoff, Quade and Douglas estimated the cost of the combined system at $260 million, as compared to the $50 million all-bus option. Construction for the Central Corridor Light-Rail System was begun in 1990, with the first sections of track being laid in Timonium near the Maryland State Fairgrounds. Approximately 27 miles long, this system uses a portion of CONRAIL's Northern Central Rail line to the north and the old Baltimore and Annapolis railroad to the south.

Extent

8 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by George and Carolyn Tyson on March 6, 1996.
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253