Maryland Council of Churches Records
Scope and Contents
The Maryland Council of Churches Records documents the organization's projects and work regarding social justice issues and evangelical work. The collection includes organization history files, surveys, meeting minutes, correspondence, administrative files, evangelism records, financial records, publications, reports, reference materials, photographs, scrapbooks, a newspaper index, and other records documenting the organization's projects and work. Topics of note documented in the collection include evangelism, local churches, immigration, housing, social issues, health, education, and others. Materials are mainly textual, however photographs and audiovisual materials are also present in the collection. Digitized versions of select items in the collection are available through this finding aid.
- Bulk: 1919-1971
- Maryland Council of Churches (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that they own copyright, the donor has assigned the copyright of this collection to the University Foundation. However, copyright for some items in this collection are held by their respective creators.
The Maryland Council of Churches was a cooperative effort of Protestant and Orthodox Christian denominations in Maryland, with activities toward ecumenism, social relations, urban and rural ministry, church planning, and migrant ministry.
The Maryland Council of Churches (MCC) was founded in 1937. When MCC was dissolved, Maryland Churches United (MCU) was founded in 1972. In 1988, the name was changed to the Central Maryland Ecumenical Council, Inc. (CMEC). The Christian organization advocates to support social, economic, racial, and environmental issues. Its activities continue to focus on ecumenism and collaborating to support social justice concerns.
[Information for this historical note was gathered from the Central Maryland Ecumenical Council website www.cmecouncil.org/History.html]
174.54 Linear Feet (202 containers)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized in six series:
- Series I
- Series II
- Series III
- Series IV
- Series V
- Newspaper Index
The records of the Maryland Council of Churches were deposited at the University's Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center in 4 accessions between 1971 and 1977. The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Walter C. Houck on October 8, 1973.
Accessing Digital Copies
Digital versions of items in this collection are available online. Locate records by using the "Print" button above, or browse records in “Collection Organization." Records with associated digital objects are identified with a red Digital Object icon.
Selected items from this collection have been digitized.
- Finding aid for the Maryland Council of Churches Records
- Finding aid prepared by archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (2022).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description