Skip to main content

Palladi Construction Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0092-PCC

Scope and Contents Note

The Palladi Construction Company Records includes plats, drawings, correspondence, and accounts concerning the work of the Palladi Construction Company, particularly in the West Hills area of Baltimore City and Baltimore County. The collection also includes Palladi family records.

Dates

  • 1918-2020

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

To the extent that they own copyright, the donor has assigned the copyright of this collection to the University Foundation. However, copyright for a number of items in this collection such as photographs and prints are likely held by their respective creators.

Biographical / Historical

Giuseppe Palladi immigrated to the United States in 1915 from Carpineti, Italy. After serving in World War I, he settled in the Baltimore area, founded Palladi Construction in 1920, and began building brick row houses on 30th street in Waverly. Palladi projects continued in the western section of the city, spanning Frederick Road, and into the Catonsville-Arbutus area of Baltimore County. Giuseppe was forced to retire in 1963 after a stroke. Peter Palladi, his son who took over the company, died in 1965. In 1967, a top Palladi Construction superintendent was killed in a car crash. The company stopped its operations in early 1968, citing these tragedies among the reasons for its decision. Giuseppe Palladi died on August 18, 1974.

Extent

5.5 Linear Feet

Arrangement

The collection is organized in seven series.

  • Early Work, 1920-1941
  • West Hills Baltimore National Pike Office, 1940-1958
  • Palladi Family Home, Maiden Choice, Huntsmoor, 1957-2012
  • Companies, Buyers, Tenants, Employee Files, 1952-1964
  • General Interest Items, 1924-1993
  • Giuseppe Palladi Correspondence and Personal Files, 1918-2020
  • Blueprints, Plans, and Maps, 1920-1974

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Gloria Palladi on October 28, 2001. The first accession was made in 2001 and the second accession was received in March 2020.

Processing Information

The collection was processed by Thomas Dettling in May 2022.

Title
Finding aid for the Palladi Construction Company Records
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Special Collections and Archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011, 2022). Revised by Laura Bell (2020).
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253