UB

Skip to main content

Baltimore Economic Development Commission Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0009-BEDC
Minutes, project reports, publications, reference materials, correspondence administrative files dating from the last five years of the commission’s existence.

Dates

  • 1968 - 2010

Extent

6.5 Linear Feet

Historical Note

The Baltimore Economic Development Commission (BEDC) was established in 1963. The commission’s mission was to encourage commercial and industrial development, monitor economic conditions and to advise the Mayor and City Council on policy issues affecting the city’s economy. Originally composed of eleven members, by 1968, it was expanded to fifteen members and given the added responsibility of the purchase and lease of properties to assist private enterprise with municipal funds.

BEDC was one of several quasi-public entities created to revitalize business in the city. The Baltimore Industrial Development Corporation (BIDC) merged with BEDC in 1976, forming the Baltimore Economic Development Corporation (BEDCO). Howard Street Market Place and Charles Center-Inner Harbor Management also merged with BEDC in 1991, after which it was renamed the Baltimore Development Corporation (BDC).

Custodial History

The records of the Baltimore Economic Development Corporation were collected by the Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center at the University of Baltimore in two accessions: November 9, 1977 and March 30, 1978. An additional accession of Baltimore Development Corporation records related to the Westside Area Project were donated by Carolyn Boitnott on April 13, 2017.

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253