UB

Skip to main content

University Governance Records

 Record Group
Identifier: UR0002

Scope and Contents

The Administrative Council series consists of meeting minutes spanning 1949 – 1968.The Board of Visitors series contains annual reports, 1995-2000. The Executive Committee and Board of Trustees includes meeting minutes, correspondence, resolutions and biographies of board members, 1925-1975. The Faculty Senate series documents the 1976 revision of the constitution and includes meeting minutes,1976-1980.The President’s Council series includes meeting minutes and correspondence, 1958-1967. The Provost’s Executive Council series includes meeting minutes, 1982-1991. The University Council series includes general documentation of the University Council. The University Senate / Forum series includes meeting minutes, information on committees, memoranda, and other documentation of the University Senate (also known as the University Forum), 1972-1982.

Dates

  • 1925 - 2000

Biographical / Historical

The University of Baltimore was founded in 1925, as a private institution by civic leaders who wanted to provide low-cost, part-time evening study in business and law for working adults. Its first site was at the southeast corner of St. Paul and Mt. Vernon Place with a class of sixty-two law school students and one hundred and fourteen business school students. The campus soon moved north to Howard St. and it later migrated further north to midtown and its present location on Mt. Royal Ave. A Junior College opened in 1937 and evolved into a four-year Liberal Arts College. In 1975, the University of Baltimore became a public institution governed by the Maryland Board of Trustees for State Colleges and Universities. At this time, UB transitioned to an upper-division university and began eliminating its freshman and sophomore classes, inter-collegiate athletics, and other extracurricular activities such as the yearbook. In 1982, the business school became the Robert G. Merrick School of Business and the liberal arts college became the Yale Gordon College of Liberal Arts. In 1988, when the state Board of Trustees was abolished, the University of Baltimore fell under the governance of the University of the Maryland Board of Regents, and became a part of what is now known as the University System of Maryland.

Extent

19.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The Governance Records have been divided into eight series based upon the governance body of origin. Series 3 contains five subseries. Series and subseries are organized in chronological or alphabetical order.

Custodial History

The provenance of this record group is unknown.
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the University of Baltimore Institutional Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-5047