University Organizational Records
Organizational records documenting the founding of the University of Baltimore, its merger with Eastern College, and its transition from a private to a public institution.
- 1925 - 1975
0.50 Linear Feet
Biographical / Historical
The University of Baltimore was founded in 1925, as a private institution by civic leaders who wanted to provide low-cost, part-time evening study in business and law for working adults. Its first site was at the southeast corner of St. Paul and Mt. Vernon Place with a class of sixty-two law school students and one hundred and fourteen business school students. The campus soon moved north to Howard St. and it later migrated further north to midtown and its present location on Mt. Royal Ave. A Junior College opened in 1937 and evolved into a four-year Liberal Arts College. In 1975, the University of Baltimore became a public institution governed by the Maryland Board of Trustees for State Colleges and Universities. At this time, UB transitioned to an upper-division university and began eliminating its freshman and sophomore classes, inter-collegiate athletics, and other extracurricular activities such as the yearbook. In 1982, the business school became the Robert G. Merrick School of Business and the liberal arts college became the Yale Gordon College of Liberal Arts. In 1988, when the state Board of Trustees was abolished, the University of Baltimore fell under the governance of the University of the Maryland Board of Regents, and became a part of what is now known as the University System of Maryland.
The University Organizational Records are organized into a subject file in alphabetical order without a series structure.
The provenance of this record group is unknown.