Skip to main content

School of Law Records

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UR0022

Scope and Contents

The School of Law Records documents its history, organization, office of the dean, faculty, student body, programs, courses, accreditation, centers, clinics, library, facilities and planning.


  • 1925 - 2017

Biographical / Historical

The School of Law was founded in 1925 as a part of the then private, non-profit University of Baltimore, the first class of 38 students received their diplomas in 1928. Created initially to serve the working population of the Baltimore area with a part-time evening program, the Law School added a full-time day division in 1969. In September of 1970 the University of Baltimore Law School merged with Eastern College and its Mount Vernon School of Law, which was founded in 1935. On January 1, 1975 the Law School became a public institution when the University of Baltimore joined the State of Maryland's higher education system. With State support, the Law School commissioned a new building to house classrooms, faculty offices and the Law Library. The new building was dedicated in 1982. In 1993, the growing law clinic operations moved to a separate building three blocks from the Law Center, housing faculty offices, student workstations and client meeting rooms. Within the Law Center, space was created for the operations of the Center for International and Comparative Law, with offices for full-time faculty as well as visiting scholars from around the world. Recent improvements to the Law Center include the construction of a mock trial room, and the installation of instructional technology in several classrooms to facilitate the use of video, computer graphics and the Internet. files. In the spring of 2008, University of Baltimore President Robert L. Bogomolny announced that the State of Maryland had approved funding for a new Law Center on campus. The new building is located at the corner of Charles Street and Mt. Royal Avenue on what was previously a surface parking lot for faculty and staff. The building is currently anticipated to open in time for the first day of the spring 2013 semester.

Deans of the School of Law: Charles S. Heuisler, 1925-1929 William Milnes Malloy, 1929-1945 John H. Hessey, 1945-1969 Joseph Curtis, 1969-1977 Laurence M. Katz, 1978-1992 John A Sebert, 1993-2000 Gilbert A. Holmes, 2001-2007 Philip J. Closius, 2007-2011 F. Michael Higginbotham, (interim) 2011-2012 Ronald Weich, 2012-present


23.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



The School of Law Records are organized into fifteen series.

Custodial History

The provenance of this record group is unknown.

Processing Information

Collection was processed by Special Collections and Archives staff. Fatemeh Rezaei made three Commencement Ceremony video recordings available online through the database in 2021.

Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Revision Statements

  • 2021: Three Commencement ceremony Video recording files were added

Repository Details

Part of the University of Baltimore Institutional Archives Repository

H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA