UB

Skip to main content

Women’s Union of Baltimore Collection

 Collection
Identifier: R0153-WUB
The collection includes primarily textual material related to group discussions. Examples of these records include meeting notes, handwritten correspondence between group members, circulars for conferences and events, and subject files for related causes.

Dates

  • 1973 - 1980

Creator

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Historical Note

The Women’s Union of Baltimore was a feminist organization that operated in Baltimore, Maryland in the 1970s. Started in 1972, the group had strong ideological ties to both socialism and lesbianism, which over time was broadened to terms described as "radical" and “women loving women, whether a sexual relationship or not.” These core values were part of the Women's Union of Baltimore's Principles of Unity.

Primarily a reading, discussion, and study group, the Women’s Union of Baltimore was also involved with tenants’ rights, hospital protests, picketing of the Exxon fuel company, and advocacy efforts for diversity at the 1977 International Women’s Year Conference. In 1976, the organization presented a night of performances and lectures related to injustices against women in the grand jury process at an event called “Knock, Knock, Who’s There?”

Source: Women's Union of Baltimore flyer, undated

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Amy Zanoni on January 24, 2014.

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253