NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection documents the education, community organizing, outreach, research, projects, and initiatives of NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland. It contains a significant amount of documentation and data, including surveys, research, ephemera, legislation information, and other materials, from community research projects and initiatives concerning crisis pregnancy centers, emergency contraception, and abortion access in Maryland. Also present is a significant amount of data related to the organization’s work to help elect pro-choice candidates to state and local offices in Maryland. Additionally, the collection contains the organization’s administrative files including manuals, meeting minutes and agendas, plans of the Board of Directors, and general materials. Community outreach planning materials, press clippings related to the organization’s activities and interests, tabling training materials and documentation, and other projects are also present in the collection.
The materials of this collection are mainly textual, including surveys, data, reports, research, meeting minutes, agendas, manuals, publications, ephemera, correspondence, and outreach materials.
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that they own copyright, the donor has assigned the copyright of this collection to the University Foundation. However, copyright in some items in this collection may be held by their respective creators.
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland is the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America. NARAL is the acronym for National Abortion Rights Action League. It is a pro-choice organization that advocates for the rights to reproductive health options. The organization protects gender equality by advocating for issues such as abortion access, birth control, paid leave, and opposing pregnancy discrimination. NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland supports reproductive choices for Marylanders by lobbying elected officials, organizing state constituents, education, and through collaboration with NARAL Pro-Choice America and others. The NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland Fund performs consumer research, community organizing, and education. The NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland PAC works to elect pro-choice individuals into state and local political offices through financial contributions to candidates running for office.
Information for this historical note was taken from the collection and in part from the NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland website. For more information about the organization see the organization's website(s): prochoicemd.org
11.7 Linear feet (12 boxes)
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland is the State affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America. The organization advocates for women’s rights for reproductive health options through education, lobbying and supporting pro-choice political candidates, community organizing, and research. This collection documents the administrative files, projects, organizing and education initiatives, outreach work, and research initiatives regarding access to reproductive healthcare.
Collection is organized into seven series:
- Administrative Files
- Maryland Elections Files
- Crisis Pregnancy Centers Initiatives
- Emergency Contraception Initiatives
- Abortion Access Surveys and Projects
- Organizing Projects and Other Initiatives
- Legislative and Lobbying Files
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore Foundation by Diana Philip on June 20, 2019. An additional accrual was received from Diana Philip by Aiden Faust in December 2021.
Items weeded include duplicate materials, secondary resources, publications, and ephemera, items documenting transactional or every-day events, and materials containing PII or information about interns or volunteers. Materials from tabling events, petition sheets, volunteer sign-up forms, financial information, and tallying sheets for phonathons and phone banks were also weeded. Sampling was completed to document the organization’s research, organizing, and other activities such as tabling and outreach events.
Collection processed by Laura Bell in 2019. Additional accrual processed by Thomas Dettling in 2022.
- All materials weeded were returned to the donor. Appraisal and weeding occurred for duplicate materials, items documenting transactional or every-day events, non-archival materials, materials containing PII or information about interns or volunteers. Materials from tabling events, petition sheets, and tallying sheets for phonathons were weeded. In many cases sampling was completed to be able to document the ways the organization functioned without keeping multiple copies or unnecessary materials with little research value. Items such as extra ephemera collected during the CPC investigations and other secondary publications were also weeded Materials kept focused on the administrative files of the organization and the research, surveys, organizing projects and initiatives, outreach activities, elections work, and topics the organization focused on. The topics include abortion access, emergency contraception, crisis pregnancy centers, sex education, and related outreach and organizing activities. Materials in the collection include the organizational/admin files such as board minutes and agendas and planning materials; also included were survey data, results, questionnaires, research materials, election information, publications, ephemera, newsletters, media / press clippings, event handouts and materials, volunteer training materials, collected materials from clinics, etc. Sampling was completed to ensure that 3-5 copies of relevant duplicate ephemera or publications were retained.
- Finding aid for the NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland Records
- Finding aid created by Laura Bell (2019). Updated by Aiden Faust (2022).
- September 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note