Baltimore Architecture Foundation Records
Scope and Contents Note
Collection contains 44 linear feet of organizational records and subject files related to the history of 20th century architects in Central Maryland, donated by the Baltimore Architecture Foundation (BAF). Additionally, the collection also includes photographic prints, oversize architectural plans, and framed items.
Topics documented within the collection include:
- Maryland architect biographies
- Alphabetical architect subject file
- Local architecture research files
- Baltimore church history files
- Baltimore homesteading files
- BAF administrative records from the 1980s
- Correspondence from the Dead Architects Society
- Architecture photos, negatives, and clippings
- Rolled architectural plans, some oversized
- Majority of material found within circa 1980s-2019
- Baltimore Architecture Foundation (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that they own copyright, the donor has assigned the copyright of this collection to the University Foundation. However, copyright for some items in this collection are held by their respective creators.
The Baltimore Architecture Foundation (BAF) was founded in 1987. BAF provides educational programs, exhibitions, tours of historic Baltimore buildings, research, and publications in order to educate adults and children about Baltimore's architectural heritage and design. Some of the BAF and American Institute of Architects Baltimore (AIA) sponsored and well-known programs and events include 'Doors Open Baltimore,' Architecture Month, the Groundhog Day Party, and Spring Lecture Series.
BAF formed a committee called the Dead Architects Society to conduct much of its own research to support its programming. The Dead Architects Society originally focused on the 15 architects and 3 engineers who founded the Baltimore Chapter, AIA, in 1870-1871. That work has now expanded through the 20th century and continues to provide and support research about architects in Maryland.
[Information for this historical note was gathered from: aiabaltimore.org/baltimore-architecture-foundation/].
42 Linear feet (42 boxes) : Textual and photographic materials in addition to oversize architectural plans and 1 box of framed materials
Collection is arranged in six series.
- Organizational Records
- Architect Files
- Building Files
- Church History Files
- Research Files
- Photographs and Drawings
Collection was donated to the University of Baltimore Foundation on August 17, 2020 by Kathleen L. Lane, Executive Director, Baltimore Architecture Foundation. Records were recived by Aiden Faust on October 26, 2020. Accession 2 was received by Aiden Faust on June 10, 2021.
Collection is being inventoried by Thomas Dettling in 2022.
- Finding aid for the Baltimore Architecture Foundation Records
- Finding aid prepared by Laura Bell (2020). Revised by Aiden Faust (2022).
- October 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Box: 25 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 26 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 27 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 28 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 29 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 30 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 31 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 32 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 33 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 34 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 35 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 36 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 37 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 38 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 39 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 40 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 41 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 42 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 43 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 44 (Mixed Materials)