Pierre C. Dugan and Nephew Company, Inc. Records
Scope and Contents
The Pierre C. Dugan and Nephew Company, Inc. Records document the firm's work managing commercial and residential real estate properties in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and other locations. The collection includes company correspondence, financial records, wills, deeds, estate papers, leases, rents, plats, atlases of Baltimore City and Baltimore County, lists of materials, and contracts covering public and private real estate, including the Basilica Church and New Cathedral Cemetery.
- Dugan, Pierre C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The Pierre C. Dugan and Nephew Company, Inc. real estate firm was established in 1866 by Pierre C. Dugan in Baltimore City. In 1870, it was briefly called Dugan and Cooper Real Estate. By 1877, Dugan’s nephew, Hammond J. Dugan, entered the firm as a partner. In 1893, shortly after Pierre’s death, Hammond took into the firm his brother, C. Nelson. After Hammond’s death in 1923, Nelson was the sole proprietor until he entered into a partnership in 1945 with Charles J. Peach and a nephew, Cumberland Dugan. Nelson Dugan died in 1947, and Peach retired in 1958, leaving Cumberland the sole proprietor. In 1980, the firm closed its office on 512 Cathedral Street and relocated in Towson. In 1981, Cumberland Dugan left the firm.
The firm handled commercial and residential property in areas including Guilford, Roland Park, Dundalk, and St. Helena. In later years, the firm actively developed suburban subdivisions in Baltimore County and waterfront properties in both Anne Arundel County and Baltimore City. The Dugans also acted as trustees for the estates of prominent Catholic families and institutions in the metropolitan area.
36.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection is arranged in four series:
- General Files and Financial Records, 1791-1972
- Recent Annual Files, 1957-1977
- Atlases of Baltimore City and County, 1873-1883
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by C.J. Dugan on February 3, 1979.
Series three in the collection does not include a folder inventory.
- Basilica of the Assumption (Baltimore, Md.)
- Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Baltimore, Md.)
- Commercial real estate
- Housing development
- Maryland--Baltimore--Roland Park
- New Cathedral Cemetery (Baltimore, Md.)
- Real estate business
- Residential real estate
- Trusts and trustees
- financial records
- Dugan, Pierre C. (Person)
- Dugan, Hammond J. (Person)
- Pierre C. Dugan & Nephew, Inc. (Organization)
- Finding aid for the Pierre C. Dugan and Nephew Company, Inc. Records
- Finding aid created by archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (2022).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Baltimore Studies Archives Repository
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA