UB

Skip to main content

Greater Baltimore Housing Development Corporation Records

 Collection
Identifier: R0047-GBHDC
By-laws, correspondence, minutes, contracts, legal papers, accounting records, cost estimates, newspaper clippings, mailing lists, membership lists, speeches, and housing plans. This collection includes records that focus on efforts to rebuild "slot housing" on Carey Street and apartment houses in Shipley Hill. Also included are records on housing construction on Fulton Avenue, rehabilitation of the Gay Street urban renewal area, and relocation housing for displaced African Americans in East Towson, Baltimore County.

Dates

  • 1965 - 1975

Extent

10.2 Linear Feet

Historical Note

GBHDC was a private, non-profit corporation established in 1967 to assist other organizations in building low and moderate income housing in metropolitan Baltimore. As a subsidiary of the Greater Baltimore Committee (GBC), the GBHDC eventually become a housing developer itself, working on subsidized housing programs with the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). In 1972, the GBHDC was liquidated after significant financial losses. A 1973 report cited neighborhood instability, vandalism, trouble obtaining competent builders, and problems with Federal housing programs as factors that led to the decline of the corporation.

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by the Greater Baltimore Committee in February 1980.

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Regional Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA
410-837-4253