Skip to main content

Nes Palmer Cornbrooks and Partners Architectural Plans

 Collection — Box: S1-B17
Identifier: R0096-PL

Scope and Contents

The Nes Palmer Cornbrooks and Partners Architectural Plans include the architectural records of Edward L. Palmer, Jr. and the succeeding firms of Palmer, Lamdin, and partners (1925-1952); Fisher, Nes, Campbell and partners (1952-1971); Richter, Cornbrooks, and partners (1972-2000); as well as the firm continued by Nes, Campbell, and Partners (1972-2000). Materials include building specifications and architectural plans for residential homes and commercial properties in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, and other locations.


  • 1907-2000


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Biographical Note

Edward Livingston Palmer, Jr. (1877–1952) worked as the chief architect of the Roland Park Company from 1907-1917. In 1917, he established his own architecture firm and was joined by William D. Lamdin in 1920. For the following 25 years, Palmer and Lambdin designed over 200 homes in Baltimore neighborhoods like Roland Park, Homeland, and Guilford; other notable city buildings, including the Second Presbyterian Church in Guilford and Saint Casimir Church in Canton; and almost 1,000 homes for Bethlehem Steel workers in Dundalk, Baltimore County.

From the time of Lamdin's death in 1945 until his own passing in 1952, Edward Palmer worked with new partners: L. McLane Fisher, Carroll R. Williams, and Charles M. Nes. In 1952, James I. Campbell joined the firm. Additional partners included Richter, Cornbrooks, Hopkins, and Matthai. The firm became a corporation in 1971, known as F.N.C., Inc. By 1972, however, the partnership spilt into two separate firms: Nes, Campbell, and Partners and Richter Cornbrooks Matthai Hopkins, Inc.


34.08 Linear Feet (54 boxes and 1,288 tubes)

Language of Materials



Collection is arranged in two series:

  • Building Specifications, 1928-1992
  • Architectural Plans

Custodial History

The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Howard S. Downing, Jr. and Jonathan M. Fishman in four annual installments between 1997 and 2000.

Related Materials

Related materials include the book, "The architectural firm of Edward L. Palmer, Jr. and its successors, 1907-1982," which can be found through the RLB Library catalog.

Finding aid for the Nes Palmer Cornbrooks and Partners Architectural Plans
Finding aid prepared by archives staff. Revised by Aiden Faust (2011). Revised by Laura Bell (2022).
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Baltimore Studies Archives Repository

H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons, Room 104
1415 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore Maryland 21201 USA