Jo Ann Robinson Research Files
- 1970 - 2009
12.9 Linear Feet
Gertrude Williams’ service in the Baltimore school system spanned the years 1949-1998. She began as a third grade teacher at Carrollton Elementary School (P.S. 139). In 1965, having earned a Counseling Certificate in Elementary Guidance from Loyola College in Baltimore, she assumed the position of Counselor at Mordecai Gist Elementary School (P.S. 069). In 1969, she was appointed assistant principal at Barclay Middle School (P.S. 054). She became principal there four years later and remained at that post until her retirement on July 1, 1998.
Following the belief that staff and parents should have a hand in determining school programs and goals, Williams developed a strong collaborative model of school governance. She and the Barclay community gained a reputation as outspoken advocates and fighters for quality education. They pioneered in securing one of the first Pre-Kindergarten programs in Baltimore City, the first all-day kindergarten, and the addition of grades seven and eight to Barclay School. Williams’ crowning achievement came in 1990 when the community won a hard-fought battle to adopt a private school curriculum.